I chose the article, "Generation IM: Getting through to today's teched-out children" by Curtwood, 2008. I chose it because it was the most current article and I am curious about how things are happening right now in education.
I wasn't surprised by anything that was said in the article. The variety of electronic and media devices that children have isn't anything that I wasn't already aware of. Nor was the amount of time that children spend using these devices. I personally don't see anything wrong with today's technology and children using it. The problem is when it isn't used as a means of education by today's teachers.
My favorite part of the article was the very end. It went through seven different ways for teachers to integrate the use of technology into the classroom. They are: having students create a blog, create a social network, podcast, use wicki's for large projects, try social bookmarking, post video, and explore with Google maps.
I realize that the problem with all of these isn't that they aren't great resources. The problem is that many teachers are not aware of how to use them. So I agree with the article when it says that we need to have educate our teachers on current technology and ways to incorporate it into the classroom. Using today's media is such a great teaching opportunity.
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment