Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Deciding to be a teacher...

Teaching wasn't something that I always thought I would do. When I was young I thought that I needed to be something "important." In my adolescent mind that meant being a doctor or lawyer. However, when I look back now, I see that I always played school and not doctor or lawyer.

Deciding to be a teacher was something that sort of hit me overnight. I was contemplating going to University of Washington and majoring in pre-med. But it didn't feel right. Then I thought of teaching and suddenly everything came into focus for me. It was like a huge light came on inside of me.

I was able to realize that being a teacher is something very important. I have the opportunity to educate our children, our future. If I am able to make a difference in just one child's life, then I will be satisfied and know that I have done what I feel I was made to do.

2 comments:

Prof. Sorenson said...

Thanks for sharing your story. Teaching is very important and you will make a difference in the lives of all of the kids that you teach -- in fact, I guarentee that as a teacher filled with Christ's love you will totally change the course of some of the kids you teach throughout the years.

Anonymous said...

Meghan,

It was cool reading your story. I know that you are going to be a wonderful teacher!