Tuesday, November 18, 2008

What are the internet safety Issues for the students in my class?

I actually don't quite know how to answer this...the students in my cooperating class seem to have free reign to play on the computers in class during the appropriate times. I have spent time watching them and they have been playing certain games. As far as their Internet usage, I don't know what they are allowed to use on a regular basis.

I did some research and found some information on the district website about the Internet usage policy. I found it helpful...this is what it says:

COMPUTERS/TECHNOLOGY
-Use of district computers, the network, and the
-Internet is for academic & research purposes only.
-Computer violations may result in disciplinary
consequences.
-Students must have an Informed Release and Consent
form on file to use the network or Internet.
-No games, audio files, video files or any other programs
may be downloaded or installed on computers or
servers without permission.
-Students may not alter desktop settings, passwords,
start-up files, etc., or alter, delete, or copy any
programs.
-Students are responsible for physical damage to
computer equipment they are using.
-Students participating in any chat, bulletin boards,
messaging or like services must be part of a
supervised learning activity.
-Students are responsible for content of files or e-mail
they create.
-Students will comply with Fair Use and copyright laws.
-Students should not share personal information such as
addresses and telephone numbers on-line.
-Students should tell a teacher or other adult whenever
they see information that is dangerous or inappropriate
on the Internet, or when using e-mail or
other services.
(This is found in the parent/student handbook for the Issaquah school district.)

I think this information is great. It says exactly what isn't appropriate and was really easy to find. This issue of Internet safety is something that I am going to make a point to speak to my cooperating teacher about. While I can't imagine it being an issue, the reality is that it might be. As educators, or even responsible adults, we need to be aware of the issues children may be facing while online.

No comments: